Monday, October 27, 2008

Realizations of an urban drifter

Yesterday marks a new chapter in my "independent urban-living" life. Ater much procrastination, I finally, packed my bags (-and boxes...and more bags and boxes) of 5 years' worth of living an independent, single life somewhere within the outskirts of Makati's CBD to move with 2 of my closest sisters in SOLV. It was very therapeutic while I was in the process of packing my stuff in boxes. I discovered old pictures, old notes, clothes that I haven't worn in a loooong time (-and I wonder if I'll ever wear them again), old journals recording previous thoughts...old rantings...simple joys...the list goes on and on. While looking at my closet, I thought of the many times I held a garage sale and yet I still have so much stuff that are not anymore of good use to me. Then this realization hits me: I AM ALMOST OUT OF CLOTHES AND SHOES TO WEAR! Seriously, as much as I made so many senseless shopping in my life, I have ended up to have almost an empty closet. I realized that all this time, I made a lot of thoughtless shopping decisions. I was either too safe which made my wardrobe (-and perhaps myself) boring or Which leads me to reflect on how I have been before going through my "SOL journey". I seemed like I was always adrift at sea - anything goes, careless, it was as if I was rebelling from myself for whatever reason. I basked in short-lived pleasures only to wake up and realize that all this time I have been leading an almost empty life. As soon as I almost want to quit and be stuck in one dark corner ranting a series of "if only's" I remind myself that what's good about this life is that you get to try again. You're always given the chance to get up and do things correctly this time. Of course you can't undo what has been done but what's more important is picking up the lesson that sad experience has given you and using that lesson to live a better life for yourself! As much as it is a commonly used expression, I don't believe that life can be empty. It will always be full - either you fill it up with successes, or fill it up with disappointments; either its filled with happiness or its wreaking of sorrow - either way, your life is full. YOU filled it up the way you wanted it to be filled. So at the end of the day, its really our choice. In the same manner as how do we want to fill our closet? Do we see a heap of black and gray's? - an explosion of bright colors? - or subdued earthy tones that may go well anytime and anywhere? Really, it's up to you. ;-)